I see that Rod has picked his theme for 2008.
Here’s mine: less.
For starters …
- Remove clutter from your house, so you can appreciate the good things you have.
- Remove the crappy digital photos from your hard drive, and better enjoy the handful that are actually great shots.
- Remove the old clothes you don’t wear any more from your wardrobe.
- Remove the food you don’t eat (or, more importantly, don’t want to eat) from your fridge/pantry and even more importantly from your cart at the supermarket.
- Throw away your old bills and bank statements, but keep old letters from friends (and wear sunscreen!)
- Remove the books you’ll never read again from your shelf, and free up space for some new ideas.
- Prune the feeds you don’t enjoy any more from your RSS reader, so you can focus on those who really make you think.
- Remove the time wasters and bullies from your life so you can concentrate on the relationships that make your life better.
- Remove your credit cards from your wallet – there is more to life than working really really hard and then going shopping.
- Turn off the television.
- Remove the noise from your inbox, so you can identify the really important conversations to contribute to.
- Remove the chaff from your to-do list, and focus on the three or four really important things that you can achieve today.
- Start to value your own time and remove the administrivia from your day.
- Spend less time each month wrestling with your accounts – hire a bookkeeper and tell them to use xero ;-)
- Remove pointless meetings (are there other kinds?) from your calendar, and spend more time with the people that matter.
- Facebook: fewer “friends” and more friends.
- Remove the unused or unimportant functionality from the software you build, and let your users get on with what they are trying to achieve.
- Remove the barriers to adoption from your website and focus on building momentum instead.
- Take your foot off the accelerator every now and then and enjoy the view.
There is plenty of scope here I reckon. And I’m interested in your suggestions.
If there are others you can contribute to this list feel free add your comment below.